In a study published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), obesity in adults is defined as a BMI of 30 or greater. Researchers found that the prevalence of obesity increased from 1999 through 2014 and that greater than 36% of adults in the U.S. suffer with this complex metabolic disorder.
Anyone who has been fighting obesity for years knows that diet and exercise are not always enough. Obesity is a serious, chronic disease with biological factors – it is not just the result of poor eating habits and a sedentary lifestyle.
Fortunately, medical help is available for individuals struggling with excessive weight. Bariatric procedures have helped many men and women reach their weight loss goals when more conservative methods have failed.
At West Medical, we offer advanced weight loss treatments and compassionate, personalized care for our patients. Our network of respected California physicians has the common goal of providing the best in patient services, with cutting-edge technology and knowledgeable care, performed with kindness and understanding.
Health Risks of Overweight and Obesity
Being overweight or obese is not simply a cosmetic problem affecting appearance and self-esteem. As stated by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), excessive weight can greatly increase the risk of other serious health conditions, including:
- Coronary heart disease: The risk for coronary heart disease increases with BMI. Plaque builds up inside the coronary arteries, reducing blood flow to the heart. Obesity can also lead to heart failure, a condition in which the heart is unable to pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs.
- Hypertension (high blood pressure): When blood pressure rises and stays high, it can cause a great deal of damage to the body. Overweight and obese individuals have a higher risk of hypertension.
- Stroke: When overweight or obesity leads to plaque build-up in the arteries, a rupture can occur in an artery, causing a blood clot to form. If the clot is near the brain, it can block blood flow and oxygen to the brain, causing a stroke.
- Type 2 diabetes: Diabetes is a leading cause of stroke, kidney disease, blindness, coronary heart disease, and early death. Most people with Type 2 diabetes are obese or overweight.
- Osteoarthritis: Excessive weight causes more pressure and wear on the joints. Obesity is associated with osteoarthritis, a painful condition affecting the joints in the knees, hips, and lower back.
- Gallstones: Overweight and obesity increases the risk of gallstones – pieces of stone-like material that form in the gallbladder, causing stomach or back pain.
- Sleep apnea: Extra fat stored around the neck can narrow the airways, making it more difficult to breathe and increasing the risk of sleep apnea, a condition involving pauses in breathing or shallow breathing while sleeping.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Gastric Bypass Surgery?
To determine if gastric bypass surgery is an appropriate procedure for you, several factors are taken into consideration, including medical condition, nutrition and weight history, age, psychological status, and motivation. Qualifications for gastric bypass and weight loss surgery include:
- Body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater or more than 100 lbs overweight
- BMI of 30 or greater with one or more life-threatening, obesity-related health conditions
- Inability to achieve and sustain healthy weight loss with prior weight loss efforts
Gastric Bypass Procedure
In gastric bypass surgery, a smaller stomach pouch is created and separated from the rest of the stomach. The intestinal tract is rerouted and the stomach is stapled. This not only limits the amount of food you can eat before feeling full, but also reduces the amount of nutrients and calories your body absorbs.
This procedure has decades of study data and often results in faster weight loss than other methods, such as the gastric band or gastric sleeve. Our Bakersfield bariatric surgeons at West Medical perform gastric bypass laparoscopically, with small incisions for a quicker, easier recovery.
If you are struggling with obesity, contact us to schedule a consultation. Our knowledgeable physicians can answer your questions about the gastric bypass procedure and advise you about the most appropriate medical procedures to help you reach your weight loss goals.
Bakersfield Festivals and Events
Bakersfield hosts an array of annual and ongoing festivals and events for locals and visitors alike. Artwalk is held on the first Friday of every month, showcasing the county’s best artists. The Bakersfield Jazz Festival is an annual event held in April – with 13 bands on 2 stages in 2017.
The annual Bakersfield Bacon and Craft Beer Festival in November offers attendees unlimited bacon-inspired foods from 25 local restaurants and unlimited craft beer from more than 40 breweries. From the Great 48 Hour Bluegrass Jam in January to the Outside the Box Film Festival in November, there is no scarcity of things to do in Bakersfield.
- CDC: Prevalence of Obesity Among Adults and Youth: United States, 2011--2014
- NIH: What Are the Health Risks of Overweight and Obesity?
4927 Calloway Drive, Suite 102
Bakersfield CA 93312
Contact Us Today!
We are ready to get you started on your road to health and beauty. Your first step is to contact us and schedule an initial consultation. During this time, we will establish everything we need to craft a custom treatment plan for you. Call today.
Lost 118lbs after visit
"Thank you West Medical for playing your part to help bring an incredible change to my life."
Lost 104lbs after visit
"Now I feel good in my clothes, I have more energy and do more things."
Lost 120lbs after visit
"I FEEL INCREDIBLE! I have a lot more energy and am very active."
Lost 100lbs after visit
"I felt like I would never fit in with my family. Now I am living an active lifestyle that I finally get to be a part of. I have lost a total of 100lbs!"
Lost over 100lbs after visit
"I lost 100 pounds with Sleeve Gastrectomy and I feel incredible! I have a lot more energy and feel healthy."
* Individual results may vary
Please take a moment to rate your experience with our team.