LOOKING FOR GASTRIC BYPASS NEAR YOU?
Obesity is a national epidemic that has become the subject of many scientific studies. As reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than one-third of adults in the U.S. are obese, at an estimated medical cost of $147 billion per year. The prevalence of obesity among American adults is age-related, with the highest percentage occurring among middle-aged adults:
- 40 to 59 years of age (40.2%)
- Age 60 and older (37%)
- 20 to 29 years of age (32.3%)
Obesity can lower self-esteem, make it difficult to get around, and interfere with quality of life. It can also have serious health consequences. Weight-related health conditions, such as Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and coronary heart disease are among the leading causes of death in the nation.
Looking for gastric bypass near you? Fortunately, with advanced surgical technologies, effective medical treatment is available for men and women struggling with obesity. At West Medical in Marina Del Rey, our skilled bariatric surgeons perform gastric bypass and a range of weight loss procedures with dedication to surgical excellence and commitment to the highest quality, personalized patient care.
GASTRIC BYPASS WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY IN MARINA DEL REY
Gastric bypass is one of the first bariatric procedures ever performed. It has decades of studies and a major clinical database of information behind it. On average, it leads to the greatest amount of weight loss of any bariatric surgery.
The procedure was originally performed open – with a large incision in the abdomen – but recent technical advances have made it possible today to perform gastric bypass laparoscopically. That means very small incisions, minimal scarring, faster recovery, and less trauma and post-surgical pain.
The surgery is performed in two basic steps:
- First, the surgeon makes the stomach smaller by portioning off a small upper section, approximately the size of a walnut, from the larger bottom section. The smaller part of the stomach is stapled together to form a pouch where the food will go, with the capacity to hold only a small amount. After the procedure, patients feel full faster and consume fewer calories. This is known as a restrictive weight loss method, because it restricts the amount of food the patient can consume at one time.
- Second, the surgeon performs the bypass by disconnecting the new, smaller stomach pouch from the remainder of the stomach and the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine) and reconnecting it to the jejunum (a part of the small intestine further down). This technique is known as “Roux-en-Y.” It causes food traveling from the pouch to bypass the duodenum, passing directly into the jejunum, which reduces the body’s absorption of calories and nutrients. This weight loss method is known as malabsorption.
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR GASTRIC BYPASS?
Gastric bypass and weight loss surgery are not recommended for every person who is overweight. Each patient’s weight loss needs are unique; however, certain general requirements to qualify for the surgery apply in most cases in California:
- You must be between the ages of 18 and 60.
- You must have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater; OR a BMI greater than 35 with an obesity-related health condition, such as high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, or obstructive sleep apnea.
- You must have tried and failed to achieve and maintain weight loss with conservative methods, such as diet and exercise.
- You must be willing to make significant changes in your life to achieve and maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle.
MARINA DEL REY GASTRIC BYPASS AND WEIGHT LOSS SURGEONS
Marina Del Rey is a seaside community with unique points of interest. Fisherman’s Village is a waterfront mall constructed in the style of a New England fishing village, with a lighthouse, a waterfront promenade, and 5 wooden buildings, all brightly painted. Chace Park, comprising 12 acres surrounded on 3 sides by water, with a green knoll rising in the center, is where the Marina Del Rey summer concert series is held from June to August on Thursdays and Saturdays. The Ballona Wetlands, located south of Marina Del Rey, are recognized as a hotspot of biological diversity and considered a crown jewel of Southern California.
At West Medical, we serve the entire Marina Del Rey community in a fully-accredited, state-of-the-art facility, providing the most advanced surgical weight loss treatment available, with your health, comfort, and safety as our number one priority.
Our network of respected California bariatric surgeons have the common goal of providing the best patient services available and compassionate, knowledgeable care as partners in our patients’ health and well-being. If you are struggling with obesity and considering gastric bypass or another weight loss surgery, contact us to schedule an initial consultation. We can recommend the most appropriate procedure and custom-tailor a weight loss treatment plan specifically for you.
- CDC: Adult Obesity Facts
Customer Service Hours
|Monday||7:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Tuesday||7:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Wednesday||7:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Thursday||7:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Friday||7:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Saturday||13:00 am – 3:00 pm|
|Sunday||10:00 am – 2:00 pm|