Looking for Gastric Bypass near you?
Obesity is an epidemic in America and a major contributing factor to some of the leading causes of death in the nation, including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, stroke, and certain types of cancer.
Part of the problem is that chronic obesity is a complex metabolic disorder, and in many cases, diet and exercise are not enough to achieve and sustain weight loss. At West Medical in Rancho Cucamonga, our skilled bariatric surgeons perform gastric bypass and other weight loss procedures to help our patients lose weight and keep it off, for a better, longer, healthier life.
What Is Gastric Bypass Surgery?
Gastric bypass is a surgical weight loss technique that works in two ways:
- Restriction — it limits the amount of food you can eat before feeling full; and
- Malabsorption — it prevents your body from absorbing as many nutrients and calories.
Looking for gastric bypass near you? We perform the procedure laparoscopically, in a minimally invasive technique that causes less trauma, downtime, and scarring. Our surgeon uses staples to create a small pouch in the upper portion of the stomach, approximately the size of a golf ball, where your food will go when you eat. Next, the small intestine is rerouted to connect with your pouch, so food will travel from the pouch to the small intestine and your body will absorb fewer calories.
Gastric Bypass Benefits
Gastric bypass surgery can produce significant improvement or completely resolve a number of weight-related health conditions, including:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Cardiovascular disease
- Degenerative joint disease
- Metabolic syndrome
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Fatty liver disease
- Stress urinary incontinence
Advantages of gastric bypass surgery include:
- Provides faster weight loss than other methods
- Significant long-term weight loss – 60% to 80% of excess weight
- Assists weight loss in 2 ways – restriction and malabsorption
- Procedure can be performed laparoscopically with minimal scarring and faster, easier recovery
- Does not require implanting a foreign object
- Does not require periodic adjustments
- Lowers risk for obesity-related diseases
- Improves or resolves weight-related health conditions
Am I a Good Candidate for Gastric Bypass?
Gastric bypass and weight loss surgeries are not for everyone. The best way to find out if you are a good candidate for gastric bypass is to schedule a consultation with one of our knowledgeable physicians, as each case is unique. The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) provides general guidelines for weight loss surgery qualifications:
- Body mass index (BMI) of 40 or more, or more than 100 lbs overweight; or
- BMI of 35 or more with two or more obesity-related health conditions occurring at the same time; and
- Inability to achieve a healthy weight and sustain it for a period of time with previous weight loss efforts.
BMI is a measure of body fat based on weight in relation to height. Although it does not measure your body fat directly, research has shown that BMI correlates to methods that do. Use our BMI calculator to find your BMI.
Rancho Cucamonga: A City with a Past and a Future
In 1839, Governor Juan Batista Alvarado of Mexico granted 13,000 acres of land in the area called Cucamonga to Tiburcio Tapia, a soldier, smuggler, businessman, and Los Angeles native. Using indigenous labor, Tapia constructed a fortress-like adobe home on Red Hill and began raising great herds of cattle.
In 1864, President Abraham Lincoln signed a post office located at the base of Red Hill into existence. It was the first post office in the western portion of San Bernardino County.
Rancho Cucamonga is a city that is proud of its past and excited about its future. “The city with a plan” has 20 parks and community facilities, award-winning architecture, planned communities, and highly rated schools.
Rancho Cucamonga Weight Loss Surgeons
Our bariatric surgeons at West Medical in Rancho Cucamonga perform a range of weight loss procedures to assist patients with severe obesity when diet and exercise are not enough. Obesity is a disease with a tremendous impact on the health and body. Studies have shown that bariatric surgery results in significant long-term weight loss, improves longevity, and improves or resolves obesity-related health conditions.
When weight loss is achieved though dieting, energy expenditure is reduced – the body begins burning fewer calories — which can lead to regaining weight. On the other hand, hormonal changes after bariatric surgery maintain or enhance energy expenditure, for a better chance of maintaining a healthier weight.
If you are tired of battling obesity and losing, visit our Rancho Cucamonga facility for a consultation. Our physicians can answer your questions about gastric bypass surgery and recommend the most appropriate weight loss procedure for you. It’s time to take back your life and enjoy all the benefits of shedding excess weight.