LOOKING FOR GASTRIC BYPASS NEAR YOU?
Large population studies have shown that people with severe obesity who have bariatric surgery have a lower risk of death than obese people who do not. Mortality risk with weight loss surgery was reduced by up to 89% throughout a five-year observation period, according to one large study, as reported by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).
Gastric bypass and weight loss surgery can improve health and longevity and overall quality of life. Obesity is a chronic, complex metabolic disorder. Looking for gastric bypass near you? If you are struggling with excess weight you have not been able to lose with diet and exercise alone, medical help is available at West Medical in Tarzana. Our skilled bariatric surgeons provide advanced treatments and the highest quality personalized care available for the duration of your weight loss journey.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF GASTRIC BYPASS AND WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), compared to people of normal or healthy weight, obese people have increased risk for a number of serious health conditions, including:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Type 2 diabetes
- High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides
- Coronary heart disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Sleep apnea and other breathing problems
- Endometrial, breast, colon, kidney, liver, and gallbladder cancer
- Pain and difficulty functioning physically
- Low quality of life
- Depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders
Fortunately, studies have shown that massive weight loss associated with bariatric surgery can improve or resolve many serious health conditions. For example, in a large review of 621 studies involving 135,247 patients, researchers found that bariatric surgery causes improvement in 85% of people with diabetes and remission of the disease in 78%. Gastric bypass surgery specifically produced remission of diabetes in 80% of patients.
GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY
Gastric bypass surgery, also known as Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, makes the stomach smaller and re-routes the intestines, so you feel full sooner, consume fewer calories, and absorb fewer calories and nutrients from the food you eat. Patients lose weight quickly with this procedure. Many people lose 10 to 20 lbs a month during the first year after surgery and more than half of their excess weight within the first 2 years.
The procedure is performed in 2 basic steps:
- In the first step, the surgeon uses staples to create a smaller, upper stomach pouch, separate from the rest of the stomach. This small pouch, approximately the size of a walnut, is where your food will go when you eat. It holds only approximately 1 oz of food, and because of this much smaller capacity, you will eat less and lose weight.
- The second step is the bypass in which your intestines are re-routed. The surgeon connects a part of your small intestine to a small hole in your stomach pouch. As a result, the food you eat will travel from the pouch to your small intestine and your body will absorb fewer calories and nutrients from your food.
BENEFITS OF GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY
Gastric bypass is one of the first bariatric procedures performed. It was originally performed “open,” with large incisions. Using advanced technology and cutting-edge techniques, our surgeons perform gastric bypass laparoscopically, with very small incisions for minimal scarring and faster, easier recovery. This procedure is one of the top options for patients seeking weight loss surgery. Its benefits include:
- Highest amounts of weight loss of all bariatric surgeries
- Often produces faster weight loss than other procedures
- Causes weight loss two ways – restriction (smaller stomach capacity) and malabsorption (less calories absorbed by the body)
- Does not require implantation of a foreign body
- Does not require adjustments
- Decades of study and major clinical database available
TARZANA WEIGHT LOSS SURGEONS
In 1797, Spanish settlers and missionaries who established the Mission San Fernando Rey de España occupied the area now known as Tarzana. The land was later absorbed by Mexico and then ceded to the U.S. in 1848, after the Mexican-American War, in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. General Harrison Gray Otis, publisher and co-owner of the LA Times, invested in the company that purchased the area in 1909 and personally acquired 550 acres in the center of what is now Tarzana.
Today, Tarzana is among the most affluent neighborhoods in Los Angeles. Our bariatric surgeons at West Medical in Tarzana are committed to serving this fine area with the absolute best in weight loss surgery, with your safety, comfort, and health as our number one priority. If you are considering gastric bypass or weight loss surgery for obesity, contact us to schedule a consultation with a knowledgeable doctor at our facility. We can recommend the best weight loss procedure to suit your individual needs.
Customer Service Hours
|Monday||7:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Tuesday||7:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Wednesday||7:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Thursday||7:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Friday||7:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Saturday||13:00 am – 3:00 pm|
|Sunday||10:00 am – 2:00 pm|