One of the hallmarks of youth, beauty as well as sex appeal is full lips. Fuller lips have become an even more desirable appeal as a result of recent trends in Hollywood and fashion. Generally, lip size is a trait that is inherited with some people being born with fuller lips while others inherit lips that are smaller and thinner. Unfortunately, as people advance in age, the lips tend to lose volume and definition. Other changes in the lips may occur, as the v-shaped “Cupid’s Bow” flattens out and vertical lines appear around the lips.
Lip enlargement must preserve the proper lip proportions as lips are a detailed structure. Doctors should therefore perform comprehensive anatomic analysis on patients seeking fuller lips to ensure that they augment ‘deficient’ areas in order to achieve the most natural results. Procedures available for lip augmentation range from non-surgical temporary enlargement using fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane, to surgical options like fat-injections or V-Y advancement which are more permanent. In order to determine which procedure is best for you, you will have to discuss with your doctor quite extensively at your consultation.
Reasons for Lip Enlargement
- If you are born with smaller, thinner lips.
- If your desire is to have fuller lips.
- If your lips have lost volume and definition with age
Types of Lip Augmentation
- Lip Augmentation with Implants - AlloDerm is an implant that was originally used as a skin replacement graft for burn victims, and today it is also utilized for plastic surgery procedures. AlloDerm is a safe, natural implant which can replace insufficient lip tissue and rejuvenate the appearance of aged, wrinkled lips.
- Injectable Lip Augmentation - Options for injectable fillers for the lips vary from fat transfer to collagen to newer fillers such as Autologen®, and others. Injectable fillers such as collagen are used to fill the volume of the lips by enhancing the natural silhouette and upper border of the Cupid’s Bow of the upper lip.
- Laser Lip Rejuvenation - This “Remington Lip” procedure rejuvenates a wrinkled or aged lip appearance. As the lips heal, the collagen and elastic tissues under the skin tighten and remodel, which restores the Cupid’s Bow and provides a healthier, more youthful shape to the lips.
- Fat transfer - This procedure in where your own body fat is transplanted through micro-liposuction to plump up the lips. This procedure is safe, natural and can restore damaged dermal deficiencies.
Lip Augmentation Risks
- Bleeding at injection sites
- Bruising or swelling
- Tenderness at the injection sites
More serious side effects can include:
- Severe swelling and bruising lasting for 7-10 days
- Asymmetry of the lips
- Lumps or irregularities
- Tissue loss
- Ulceration or scarring
- Allergic reaction
Want a plumper pout? Contact West Medical Plastic Surgery today at (855) 690-0565 to learn more about lip augmentation and other facial procedures!
Contact Us Today!
We are ready to get you started on your road to health and beauty. Your first step is to contact us and schedule an initial consultation. During this time, we will establish everything we need to craft a custom treatment plan for you. Call today.
Please take a moment to rate your experience with our team.