Sciatica is a term referring to pain that originates in the sciatic nerve of the back and radiates down into the posterior thigh, leg and little toe. It results from nerve root irritation or compression in the lumbar region of the spine. Sciatica may derive from a herniated disc that puts pressure on the nerve root, or from bony spurs pressing on the root (spinal stenosis), or degenerative disc disease.
A physical exam can detect whether you have sciatica. The orthopedist will test your muscle strength and reflexes and measure your response to simple exercises. Usually pain increases while performing certain activities, which your surgeon can detect. Imaging tests such as X-ray, MRI and CT scans may be useful in arriving at a diagnosis.
- Pain radiating from the lower back into the buttock region, down the back of the thigh.
- Leg numbness, tingling or weakness
- Medication (NSAID, muscle relaxants, pain relievers, antidepressants)
- Physical therapy to prevent recurrent injury, correct posture, strength muscles and improve flexibility.
- Injections of corticosteroids in the involved nerve root.
- Surgery to remove bone spur or herniated disk that presses on pinched nerve.
Get treated for sciatica by one of the board certified physicians at West Medical. We care about your condition, and are happy to offer the best possible treatment. To find out more about the causes and symptoms of sciatica, as well as treatment options in Los Angeles, please call our offices at (855) 690-0565.
Contact Us Today!
We are ready to get you started on your road to health and beauty. Your first step is to contact us and schedule an initial consultation. During this time, we will establish everything we need to craft a custom treatment plan for you. Call today.
Please take a moment to rate your experience with our team.