General Requirements for weight loss surgery or bariatric surgery
While everyone’s particular weight loss needs vary, there are a number of general requirements which apply to most of the Gastric Sleeve and other bariatric surgery patients in California.
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You have a Body Mass Index higher than 40, or a Body Mass Index Higher than 30 with a weight-related co-morbidities, such as obstructive sleep apnea, high blood pressure, or type 2 diabetes.
- You have had a high Body Mass Index for more than 5 years.
- You do not drink alcohol excessively.
- You have attempted traditional weight loss methods, like exercise and diet.
- You are prepared to dedicate yourself to a healthier, active lifestyle.
- You are ready to follow your surgeon’s instructions after the procedure. This will include a specific diet and exercise program that you must maintain to achieve your weight loss goals.
- You must visit your physician for regular check-ups following the Gastric Sleeve procedure.
How to Qualify for Gastric Sleeve Surgery
The easiest and surest way to determine if Gastric Sleeve surgery is the right option for you is to visit an experienced and knowledgeable bariatric surgeon who can advise you of your weight loss options. Each patient and case is unique, so it’s important to meet with your surgeon for a proper consultation.
At West Medical, we offer FREE consultations with a member of our surgical team who can personally address any question or concerns you may have. To schedule a consultation with one of our Gastric Sleeve surgeons, contact us today at to learn more about your weight loss options. We look forward to hearing from you!