Blue Cross and Blue Shield will cover your LAP-BAND Surgery as long as you meet your BCBS insurance plan’s requirements for bariatric surgery. While you can review your insurance policy package to see what weight control expenses are covered or excluded, you may find it much easier to simply give us a call at (855) 690-0565, or fill out our free, no obligation FREE LAP-BAND Insurance Verification Form so that our LAP-BAND Insurance Coordinator can verify either your Blue Shield or BlueCross LAP-BAND Surgery coverage for you. There is absolutely no obligation to have us verify your LAP-BAND coverage and if you don’t meet your insurance policy’s criteria, we can request an individual need assessment, send a letter of medical necessity and help you through the appeal process if necessary.
Blue Cross Blue Shield LAP-BAND Coverage
Just as each person is different; BlueCross Blue Shield’s LAP-BAND Coverage and pre-approval criteria will vary with each BCBS insurance plan and prospective patient. With 39 independent, community-based and locally operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies, both Blue Shield LAP-BAND Surgery and Blue Cross LAP-BAND Surgery plans may have slightly different coverage and requirements for weight loss surgery. Prior to covering your bariatric surgery, BlueCross Blue Shield typically requires a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 or greater along with a written letter describing your weight history for the last 5 years including all attempted diets, exercise and weight loss programs. You will also be required to undergo a nutritional evaluation and a psychological evaluation prior to qualifying for BlueCross Blue Shield’s LAP-BAND Coverage. If Your BMI is below 40, BlueCross Blue Shield will also evaluate your weight-related medical conditions prior to granting authorization for a LAP-BAND Surgery. Depending on your Blue Shield or BlueCross LAP-BAND Coverage, you may also be required to undergo 6 to 12 months of medically supervised, non-surgical attempts at weight reduction through nutrition, medication or maintenance therapy, behavior modification, exercise and increased activity.
Blue Cross Blue Shield LAP-BAND Requirements
You may automatically pre-qualify for Blue Cross or Blue Shield to cover your LAP-BAND Surgery if:
- You are 100 pounds or more above ideal weight, or
- You have a Body Mass Index above 40, or
- You have a Body mass Index of 35 or greater and suffer from medical problems associated with obesity such as coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea or hypertension.
- You have been overweight for at least five years, and
- You have failed all weight-loss attempts including diets, exercise and weight loss programs.
To see if your BlueCross Blue Shield Insurance Plan covers the LAP-BAND Surgery, please call us at (855) 690-0565, or fill out our FREE, No Obligation LAP-BAND Insurance Verification Form and we will happily verify your BlueCross Blue Shield coverage for you!
Blue Cross Blue Shield Groups Covering LAP-BAND Surgery
Here is a list of some of the most common Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans covering LAP-BAND Surgery:
- Alabama, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Alaska, Premera Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Arizona, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- California, Anthem Blue Cross
- California, Blue Shield
- Colorado, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Connecticut, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Delaware, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- District of Columbia, CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Florida, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Georgia, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Hawaii Medical Service Association
- Idaho, Blue Cross
- Idaho, Regence BlueShield of Idaho
- Illinois, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Indiana, Wellpoint, Inc.
- Iowa, Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Kansas, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Kentucky, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Louisiana, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Maine, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Maryland, CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Massachusetts, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Michigan, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Minnesota, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Mississippi, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Missouri, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Missouri, BlueCross and BlueShield of Kansas City
- Montana, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Nebraska, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Nevada, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- New Hampshire, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- New Jersey, Horizon Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- New Mexico, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- New York, BlueCross & BlueShield of Western
- New York, BlueShield of Northeastern
- New York, Empire Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- New York, Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
- North Carolina, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- North Dakota, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Ohio, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Oklahoma, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Oregon, Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
- Pennsylvania, Blue Cross of Northeastern
- Pennsylvania, Capital Blue Cross
- Pennsylvania, Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Pennsylvania, Highmark Blue Shield
- Pennsylvania, Independence Blue Cross
- Puerto Rico, Triple-S Salud, Inc.
- Rhode Island, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- South Carolina, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- South Dakota, Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Tennessee, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Texas, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Utah, Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Utah
- Vermont, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Virginia, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Virginia, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
- Washington, Premera Blue Cross
- Washington, Regence BlueShield
- West Virginia, Mountain State Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Wisconsin, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Wyoming, Blue Cross and Blue Shield
Blue Cross and Blue Shield is an association of independent, locally operated blue cross and blue shield plans collectively, providing health care coverage for more than 99 million people in the United States. Blue Cross and Blue Shield has a history spanning over 80 years and contracts with more than 90 percent of hospitals and 80 percent of physicians nationwide.
Disclaimer: This site is not affiliated with or endorsed by Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield and is for informational purposes only - The following Blue Cross and Blue Shield LAP-BAND guidelines have been compiled from various public sources. It is presented online for informational use only, and without warranty as to its accuracy, timeliness, or completeness. This site does not replace any official versions of the information presented, nor does inclusion on this list guarantee coverage. Please check your Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield policy before proceeding with your surgery.
Contact Us Today!
We are ready to get you started on your road to health and beauty. Your first step is to contact us and schedule an initial consultation. During this time, we will establish everything we need to craft a custom treatment plan for you. Call today.
Lost 118lbs after visit
"Thank you West Medical for playing your part to help bring an incredible change to my life."
Lost 104lbs after visit
"Now I feel good in my clothes, I have more energy and do more things."
Lost 120lbs after visit
"I FEEL INCREDIBLE! I have a lot more energy and am very active."
Lost 100lbs after visit
"I felt like I would never fit in with my family. Now I am living an active lifestyle that I finally get to be a part of. I have lost a total of 100lbs!"
Lost over 100lbs after visit
"I lost 100 pounds with Sleeve Gastrectomy and I feel incredible! I have a lot more energy and feel healthy."
* Individual results may vary