LET US HELP YOU DECIDE WHICH PROCEDURE IS BEST FOR YOU
As the Gastric Sleeve grows in popularity, many insurance companies are now providing coverage for the majority of expenses related to the operation. Aetna, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, and United Healthcare all cover the majority of or parts of gastric sleeve surgeries for patients that meet the eligibility criteria.
If you have questions about your plan’s coverage when it comes to a Gastric Sleeve procedure or other bariatric surgeries, West Medical offers a FREE Insurance Coverage Hotline to determine the coverage rate of your plan. For thorough help understanding your individual benefits when it comes to Gastric Sleeve costs, call us now at (800) 561-9000 to have one of our insurance plan experts perform a verification of your benefits.
A standard term used in insurance policies is that coverage is provided for what is “usual and customary” for a Gastric Sleeve procedure. The fees often covered include those associated with anesthesia, the hospital facility use bill, and the fee of the surgeon. Together, these fee considerations generally make up approximately 80% of the total cost of gastric sleeve. Some essential programs that are commonly covered by insurance include post-op support groups, dietary counseling and exercise and nutrition programs.
OTHER COST CONSIDERATIONS FOR GASTRIC SLEEVE SURGERY
- If your insurance company issues a “denial” for the Gastric Sleeve procedure, this can either be due to weight loss surgery not being one of the
benefits provided, or because of an exception clause in your insurance plan. In a number of cases, we can work with your doctor or lawyer to get the
- If you do not have an insurance policy, or if the Gastric Sleeve cost is not covered by your insurance company, don’t worry: there are still many
other payment options available to you, including cash discounts and Gastric Sleeve financing.
UNITED MEDICAL CREDIT
We are pleased to provide financing for Medical procedures through United Medical Credit. You can get more information on their website at United Medical Credit. United Medical Credit offers affordable monthly payments, competitive interest rates, multiple financing plans to choose from and many more!
Gastric Sleeve surgery is one of the most successful and popular weight loss procedures available. At West Medical, our team of surgeons and specialists make the safety and effectiveness of your individualized treatment their top priority. To learn more or schedule a consultation with one of our experienced Gastric Sleeve surgeons, call us today at (855) 690-0565 for more information. We look forward to hearing from you!
OVERVIEW OF GASTRIC SLEEVE
The gastric sleeve procedure – also called gastric sleeve resection, vertical sleeve gastrectomy, tube gastrectomy, sleeve gastrectomy, and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy – is a treatment for obesity considered well worth its cost. It may be performed as the first step before a gastric bypass, or may be performed on its own. During a vertical sleeve gastrectomy, approximately 80% of the client’s stomach is removed. The remaining portions of the stomach are then joined, creating a sleeve-like shape. The doctor will use a laparoscope, which is a device with a tiny camera that transmits images to a monitor so that the doctor can enjoy a high degree of precision.
Since the stomach is now much smaller, the patient feels fuller faster and may lose as much as 75% of their extra pounds. Because the stomach is now secreting fewer hormones, hunger cravings are greatly reduced.
The gastric sleeve treatment differs from a gastric bypass in that it is a more appropriate surgery for those who are at least 100 pounds or more over their ideal weight. The ideal candidate for gastric bypass should have a BMI of at least 40 as a general rule.
CONSIDERING SECONDARY HEALTH ADVANTAGES
Because the gastric sleeve procedure provides so many secondary health benefits in addition to weight loss, many insurance companies are now offering coverage for this important treatment. Among the benefits is an improvement in symptoms from diabetes, asthma, hypertension, infertility, acid reflux, migraines, and stress-related urinary incontinence.
WHAT ABOUT THE COST OF GASTRIC SLEEVE TREATMENT?
Since most cases are unique in height, weight, and related health conditions – Costs pertaining to the gastric Sleeve are patient specific and are typically determined by Our physicians once an in-depth evaluation has been completed. As the procedure is still relatively new, insurance carriers are just starting to learn of its immense value and offer coverage.
Fees related to gastric sleeve treatment will cover:
- Hospital accommodations
- Doctor’s services
- Labs and x-rays
Other costs may include:
- Nutritionist fees
- Vitamins, supplements and medications
- Additional bariatric procedures, if gastric sleeve is just the first phase of treatment
- Surgery to remove excess skin, such as a body lift, breast reduction, breast lift or panniculectomy
Factors affecting the cost of gastric sleeve surgery include:
- Where you have your surgery performed, i.e. in an urban metropolis or smaller city
- Your health coverage
- In-network providers vs. out of network surgeons
- The length of time you may be required to stay in hospital, i.e. outpatient or inpatient charges
QUESTIONS YOU SHOULD ASK YOUR SURGEON ABOUT THE COST OF GASTRIC SLEEVE TREATMENT
- “What is the total cost for treatment?”
- “What is the breakdown of the cost? I.e., does it include pre-op, accommodations, tests, labs, counseling, surgery and aftercare?”
- “If I need additional bariatric surgery, what will be the cost for those treatments?”
- “Will I receive a price break if I need secondary bariatric surgery?”
- “How much of the cost does insurance cover?”
- “Will insurance cover costs for treating complications from the initial gastric sleeve surgery?”
- “What financing options do you offer to help me pay for the procedure?”
- “What is my next step, and how can I learn more about the cost of gastric sleeve surgery?”
I FEEL INCREDIBLE! I have a lot more energy and am very active