LET US HELP YOU DECIDE WHICH PROCEDURE IS BEST FOR YOU
WHAT IS ROUX-EN-Y GASTRIC BYPASS?
Roux-en-Y is a type of gastric bypass surgery that works to reduce hunger by surgically creating a smaller stomach. This leads to a feeling of fullness faster for the client, reducing hunger cravings, which ultimately results in a weight loss effect.
WHO IS IT FOR?
For those who are significantly overweight with a BMI of 40 or higher, weight-loss surgery can be a godsend, especially when dieting, exercise and medications have not delivered any relief. Weight-loss surgery is also a good idea for those with a BMI of at least 35 who are experiencing co-morbidities with obesity, such as type 2 diabetes. Calculate your BMI here.
WHAT KIND OF RESULTS SHOULD I EXPECT?
Most roux-en-Y gastric bypass clients can expect to lose over half their excess weight with the surgery. Long-term maintenance of your weight loss will depend on rigorous follow-up with your surgeon, and on your adherence to a healthy diet and exercise regimen.
BENEFITS OF ROUX-EN-Y GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY
- Major weight loss – The stomach is much smaller, reducing the amount of food it can store. Cravings for food are minimized, and clients often lose as much as half of their unwanted pounds.
- Improvement in co-morbidities – For those patients suffering from conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, sleep apnea, and high cholesterol, the roux-en-Y procedure can help significantly to offset the symptoms and risks.
- Increased longevity – According to scientific research, an obese person who has undergone the roux-en-Y gastric bypass procedure will increase their life expectancy.
- Reduced scarring from incisions – Because West Medical surgeons use a precise laparoscopic technique, the incisions required are much smaller, facilitating a faster healing time and less visible post-op scarring.
- Improved quality of life – Clients who undergo the roux-en-Y procedure experience greater ease in their movements, less stress, better sleep and an improved mental outlook. They are able to participate in sports and other social activities that they may have avoided in the past, lessening anxiety and depression, and opening up channels for more nourishing personal relationships to form.
BEFORE & AFTER
View our patients who have had success with weight loss at West Medical.
HOW DOES ROUX-EN-Y GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY WORK?
The way the stomach works normally is that food travels first through the stomach, then through the small intestine, and then finally into the large intestine, after which the waste is eliminated.
In roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery, the surgeon fashions an alternate egg-sized pouch, which is joined with the small intestine, so food skips the upper stomach and goes straight to the pouch.
The doctor will create tiny incisions in the stomach with the help of a laparoscope, or guided camera that transmits images to a monitor so the entire procedure can be meticulously monitored.
Your doctor will provide a detailed aftercare plan that includes instructions on taking pain medications, bathing, sleeping, eating, exercising and returning to work and other normal activities.
For the first week post-op, you may experience pain in the abdomen, and even bouts of an upset stomach. For the first month, you will need to focus on consuming small amounts of soft foods and the intestines heal. Drinking enough water is an all-important aspect of your recovery process, which you will need to do in order to avoid serious constipation.
As you add solid foods back into your meal plan, you should be sure to chew all your food very well, and learn to stop eating when your new stomach tells you it’s full. Occasional nausea may result if you eat too fast, or eat too much. You may need to attend nutritional counseling in order to safeguard your results. At West Medical, we provide help throughout your entire weight loss journey.
Since the part of the stomach where vitamins and minerals are most easily absorbed is bypassed, deficiencies may result, but these can be easily combatted with supplements such as calcium, magnesium and B12.
UNCERTAIN WHETHER TO GET GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY OR GASTRIC SLEEVE?
ROUX-EN-Y GASTRIC BYPASS RISKS
In the hands of seasoned, skillful, board certified surgeons such as those at West Medical, the roux-en-Y procedure is safe and effective. However, like any surgery, there are some risks you should be informed about. Among these risks is an infection at the incision site, leaking from the stomach into the intestinal cavity, blood clotting and pulmonary embolism. Gallstones, anemia and osteoporosis are also among the possible complications.
OTHER POTENTIAL PROBLEMS THAT MAY ARISE INCLUDE:
- The need for revision surgery to repair the link between the pouch and the small intestine, if it becomes compromised
- Vomiting if you overindulge
- Kidney stones
- Hernia, which may result from complications with the incisions, or from kinks in the intestines
ROUX-EN-Y GASTRIC BYPASS REVISION
A revision procedure will be necessary when the previous stomach pouch has stretched out and is no longer restricting overeating. During revision treatment, the old pouch is tapered so that the original weight loss results can once again ensue.
Like primary roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery, revision surgery is performed laparoscopically, allowing the doctor to monitor his movements very precisely. This cuts down on risks, lowers downtime, and ensures a swifter, more comfortable healing process.
WHY WEST MEDICAL?
West Medical is one of California’s premier weight loss surgery facilities, giving clients from all walks of life a new lease on life. Our weight loss surgeons are highly skilled, experienced and compassionate, providing personalized attention in an immaculate, accredited setting.
From the moment you enter our waiting room until you are safely home recuperating, we go the extra mile to ensure your total satisfaction and peace of mind.
If you suffer from obesity and believe that roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery might be the right treatment for your goals, why not schedule a confidential consultation today? We are confident you will find the roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery a compelling solution for obesity.
During the consultation, our knowledgeable and friendly physicians can perform a physical examination, review your medical history and previous surgeries if any, answer your questions and concerns in depth and begin to formulate a unique plan of action to help you slim down.
To learn more about roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery and other weight loss treatments, call us today at (855) 690-0565 and schedule your complimentary consultation.
I FEEL INCREDIBLE! I have a lot more energy and am very active